Even as the sentiment of switching over to renewable energy sources picks steam, the execution of widespread solar power systems remains an excruciatingly slow process. The remarkable scope for viable use of sun’s heat as an energy source has been widely acknowledged, but this, in no way seems to reflect on the energy utilization charts of leading industrial nations. This is primarily because of some inherent roadblocks presented by any green energy source. In such a scenario, it becomes imperative to lay bare all the pros and cons of the energy source, so that appropriate and informed decision making can be facilitated.
1. The most prominent reason for discussing the need of solar power is the fact that conventional energy sources like petroleum fuel and coal leave lasting strains on the health of the environment. The quality of our living space is degrading by the minute, as malodorous and toxic fumes from factories keep on accumulating in the environment. In such a deplorable situation, the sole ray of light is the fact that we can use natural sources like the Sun for our energy needs. There is no pollution associated with solar energy, and this is the undisputable factor that makes its case strong.
2. A major concern for the Energy Distribution Agencies is the penetration to rural areas. Sun, as we all know, does not discriminate in wielding its heat. There is absolutely no problem in energy distribution with solar energy, as rural and suburban areas do not necessarily have to be a part of distribution grids to have their share of electricity. The fact that even space shuttles are powered by cells that depend on solar heat speaks volumes of the power of the Sun and the benefits of solar energy.
3. The cost of operation of a solar panel producing electricity is almost incomparably smaller than that of the conventional power grid electricity. In villages and undeveloped areas, even the initial setting of solar panels is more feasible than the installation of high voltage cables, thus shifting the balance in favor of solar power. Another worth mentioning aspect of solar panel generated electricity is the simplicity of the working mechanism that easily scores over the high risk and high noise fossil fuel utilizing power generators.
4. The rollicking pace of research in green technologies has led to the overcoming of some of the most feared drawbacks of using solar energy. For instance, modern technology ensures that overcast weather does not inhibit the ease with which you use your solar powered devices. Also, solar panels are becoming more and more compact, thus drawing the attention of enthusiasts across the globe who were skeptical earlier. Solar electric panels, solar cookers, solar heaters and a host of other similar devices can be easily installed on roof tops.
5. Once a solar powered appliance is up and running, the users reap the benefits of cost cutting for long periods. The electricity costs charged by state governments are infinitely greater than the ‘per unit cost’ you would incur with an equivalent solar powered electricity supply. Add to it the pollution free operation, and solar energy presents itself as an offer that just can’t be refused!
6. Hassle free operation is another value adding feature of the solar energy based devices. Whereas the maintenance costs of conventional power producing stations remain to be considerably high, solar energy is a self monitoring and stable supply of non polluting fuel.
7. Last but certainly not the least, we need to acknowledge the fact that our inventory of fossil fuels is diminishing at an alarmingly fast rate. Endorsing green fuels becomes a necessity rather than an option in such a scenario. Solar energy is, by far, the most viable renewable energy source available to man.
1. Undoubtedly, the first concern that hits the mind when the discussion regarding solar energy starts is the fact that the set up cost and the corresponding efforts required from the interested parties are obstructively demanding. High end solar electricity installations may cost as much as thousands of dollars, and the fact that the number of such installations in a large organization may be more than one only add on the reluctance of the switch over to solar energy. Thankfully, these issues are being addressed by governments and interest free loans are being offered in order to motivate people towards solar appliances.
2. The areas less endowed with sunlight always question the viability of solar energy as for most part of the year, these areas remain under a cloud cover. In such a situation, tapping of Sun generated heat becomes extremely troublesome. What aggravates the situation is the hard hitting reality that sticking to fossil fuels may be the only suitable option that remains with these cold countries. Inclement weather may disrupt proceedings anytime, and this remains a threat that needs immediate attention and hasty redressal for people to consider solar energy seriously.
3. Lack of incentives from governments and industrial bodies is a serious roadblock that hampers the smooth progress of solar energy. Industries always remain reluctant towards endorsing solar energy as they do not get any compensation from the ruling bodies. The costs of installing solar appliances has to be borne by them, and this leaves them gasping in the race of profits. Naturally, they defer action and this adversely affects the progress of green energy.
4. Users always seem to be complaining about the unpredictability of response of their solar energy based appliances. Though the operating costs are significantly lower, the efficiency of these appliances is not quite as impressive as their counterparts running on fossil fuels. Consequently, the spread of the green fuel revolution is stunted. Also, solar devices need some arrangements for the times when the sunlight is not as pronounced as ideally should be. This requires additional inputs from the users, and another factor that makes them think twice before going for solar energy based appliances.
No comments yet.